Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Adoption is an Option

I was adopted at the age of 9 months. My story is actually pretty crazy. Before I was 9 months old I had traveled in 2 stolen trucks and covered both the northern and southern parts of the country. The first stolen truck was when I was 2 weeks old. It had no windows and our destination was Wisconsin in October (points to the birth parents for smart thinking on that one!) The smart ones didn't stop there and a few months later I was in a stolen 18 wheeler this time (gotta make it better than the last) on my way to Tampa, Florida. In the words of SB...I win.

The FBI called my grandfather and his wife in the middle of the night to inform them they had custody of their granddaughter (that's me by the way) and were wanting to know if they wanted the cutest baby they had ever seen (Ok...so they really didn't say that last part but you can just imagine that I was!)



It's a girl!! Kay and Erskin were now the proud parents of a bouncing baby girl. Ok, so I wasn't bouncing. I was dying actually. 2 weeks of feeding me and bathing me and I was finally doing some better and not covered in grime and dirt. My actual adoption did not take place until years later thanks to the birth mother and sperm donor trying to come in and out of the picture. At 5 years old I was sitting on my dad's lap when the judge called the matter of Christine Leigh Simms into order. I distinctly remember asking daddy who that was and when were we going to McDonalds.




So, why all of a sudden am I telling you my adoption story? As my heart beats out of my chest I am so excited to announce to you that Brandon and I have decided to pursue adoption!!!! (let the cheering begin!!) It is something that I have always wanted to do. Brandon had never really thought about it because, honestly, it was never really on his radar of life. He came from great wbiological parents and always just assumed that after he married the perfect woman the perfect baby would come along. After he met the less than perfect woman and her less than perfect adopted family, he began to realize how much adoption played into my story and how cool it would be to welcome a child into our home that needed a forever mommy and daddy.

Honestly our fertility issues are probably pushing up our adoption timeline more than we would have ever imagined. However, knowing that it was a future plan for our family and knowing that adoption can be a lengthy process, we have decided to go ahead and start the process.

To answer the annoying and nosy-question-that-is-really-none-of-your business-but-I'll-deal-with-anyway...if we are to get pregnant through this adoption process we will still continue to seek adopting. Adoption is not simply something we are doing because we can not get pregnant...it is something we would have done anyway.

Our first major decision is international or domestic (the picture included should show you where I am leaning :)) We are on two different sides of the fence on this one and are seeking to come to an agreement. We are about 6 months out from submitting our paperwork. It will be a lengthy process that hopefully I will keep you updated on.

I pray that you will support us and that you will continue to pray for our family as we come to your mind. I look forward to the day that we get to introduce you to our son or daughter.

Love,

The Peevys

1 comment:

Mandy Mc said...

I'm so excited for you! Chad and I have talked about the possibility of adoption too. We're leaning toward domestic adoption, but we have friends who have adopted internationally. Please keep us posted as you have time.