Thursday, October 20, 2011

9 months

When a person gets pregnant they are usually pregnant for at least 9 months. I think I have even heard somewhere that it averages out to 10 months by the time it is all said and done.

Going into this process we thought it would be a long, drawn out ordeal because of stories we have heard.

Well apparently all you have to do is tell an agency that you don't mind what race your baby is and birth mamas and agencies start coming after YOU!

Although adoption can be a wonderful thing; in some ways it has a way of making you jaded towards the world. I am not sure where some companies can justify a 20,000 dollar difference between a white child and a black child. 20,000 dollars. 20,000. I am not sure when adoption stops being adoption and starts being child trafficking.

To update you on our status, here's where we are:

We are have officially submitted the first part of our home study process. It's the initial application which is just a few pages of information and a few signed forms.

Next comes BIG DADDY! It's the 25 page application process that we BOTH have to fill out as individuals. Right now it is being stored in a 3" binder that I am lovingly referring to as my "adoption bible" or "BIG DADDY" cause this thing is HUGE! This is just the home study folks. We haven't even contracted with an agency yet.

We have already started gathering the 847,000 documents required for the home study including our 911 calls for every address we have ever lived in and our septic tank check. Yeah...you have to have both of those to be official. Once our applications are approved we will begin the interview process which includes 4 interviews. We will both do one individually, one together, and then one at our house where they will check it over. Before this happens we hope to have all the new floors laid down and the nursery at least started.

So far I can equate the adoption process to being butt naked in a see through box in the middle of the street where you can't see out but they can see in. Your entire life and all of your feelings, hopes, dreams, failures, flaws and imperfections are constantly being put on display for everyone to see.

I have also found the process to be healing. Adoption is something that forces you to get on your knees before God and depend on him like you never have before. It is a process that brings your and your spouse together because at times only you understanding what you are doing and why you are doing it. You feel alone but together if that makes any sense. It's a process that has made me deal with some inner demons that I have always felt towards my birth parents. I pray that at the end of this process I can look back and see the tremendous growth that I am sure I will experience.

It all seems a little surreal to me but I am ready for the ride.

Till next time...

No comments: