Friday, April 13, 2007

Judson or BUST

So I'm home right now, trying to motivate myself to go finish packing and finish getting ready. I'm excited about coming to Judson, just still as lazy as I ever was.

I found this article the other day though and thought I would share it. I love the part where he says that he can't worship a Jesus that he could beat up.

Anyway...I'm on the way soon. Can't wait to see you girls!??

Interview with Mark Driscoll:

-What trends in church and worship styles do you see? Are they positive or negative?

-Driscoll: "I'll be happy when we have more than just prom songs to Jesus sung by some effeminate guy on an acoustic guitar offered as mainstream worship music."

-What do you see as the greatest challenge for young Christians in the next 10 years?

-Driscoll: "There is a strong drift toward the hard theological left. Some emergent types want to recast Jesus as a limp-wrist hippie in a dress with a lot of product in His hair, who drank decaf and made pithy Zen statements about life while shopping for the perfect pair of shoes. In Revelation, Jesus is a pride fighter with a tattoo down His leg, a sword in His hand and the commitment to make someone bleed. That is a guy I can worship. I cannot worship the hippie, diaper, halo Christ because I cannot worship a guy I can beat up. I fear some are becoming more cultural than Christian, and without a big Jesus who has authority and hates sin as revealed in the Bible, we will have less and less Christians, and more and more confused, spiritually self-righteous blogger critics of Christianity."

3 comments:

Ashley Smith ~ The Primary Source said...

I hate I missed seeing you and most everyone else! love you!

PS...have you read either one of his books? Very interesting reads.

Mandy Mc said...

It was great getting to see you this past weekend even if it was just for a few minutes. I'll have to see about coordinating my next trip through ATL :-)

And this, my friend, is quite a provocative post. While I agree that we Christians need to stop creating Jesus in our own image and while I agree that praise and worship music if often vapid, I cannot stomach the thought that we need an insanely MASCULINIZED Jesus in order for Jesus to be thoroughly divine. Jesus should be Jesus.

As Christians we need to stop getting so caught up in what Christian men should do and what Christian women should do, and start focusing on what Christians should do and be and say. Masculinity and femininity are cultural constructs and as long as we stay caught up in figuring out what makes something effeminate, we're going to miss the larger point. We need to start focusing on what is virtuous. How does Jesus model virtue and how can we as Christians live virtuously in our own lives? Christians are fully human just like Jesus, but our virtue lies in our humanity, not in our maleness or our femaleness.

Okay, I'm stepping down now. Sorry I posted a blog on your comment section. Blame it on the masculinity class that I'm preparing a presentation for right now :-)

Criddy said...

I hate we only got a minute together too. But we got a picture and you should send that to me.

Um...ok. I dn't really think that's what he was saying, but I understand your point.

Love you!