Friday, February 16, 2007

Highway 5...take me home...to the place...I belong

Through Alabama...to my mama...take me home...Highway 5.

I hope that as Jennifer and Susan read that today that they almost pee in their pants from recalling the ever famous late night info-mercial e-mail with great songs from our time at Judson. There are a LOT more where that came from!

BUT..instead of Highway 5...it's going to be interstate 20..followed by the most red lights you've ever seen in a row...followed by the longest stretch of highway 431 that you've ever seen...and then one turn past the big tree and the one stop light and i'll finally be back in New Hope for the first time since Christmas.

I will have to say though, that as this week and especially last night, as I was thinking about going home, it hit me that there a hard reality that awaits for me now every time I go home. It's like I've been able to hide from it almost here in Georgia. I mean sure, it's always there, some how just on the tip of my thoughts, but going home is a cold hard reminder of what's happened in my life the past few months and how that is never going to change. I know that there are people that have it so much worse that I do...I mean I look at my friend from college that is truly now an orphan. Sure she's an adult, but even adults need their parents still. It's more of knowing that what never really was, now has no potential to ever be...and even what little bit I had is gone. Some times the dull ache of just being a daughter without a dad hits me, and in weeks like this...where i'm homesick and emotional to begin with, it consumes me.

I grew up thinking that my mom never really liked my dad. I mean she might have loved him somehow, but never really liked him. They would fight, cuss, throw things, yell...but the day that we walked away for the last time from him, she wasn't leaving behind some man that she had exsisted with for the last 30 something years, she was leaving behind her valentine, her soul mate, her husband. She left behind the man that she met, because 30 something years ago she was stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire, and he stopped to fix it and asked what time supper was!!

So I'm going home, to whatever faces me...but to see my mom, see my friends, and just be home for a while!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about your loss. But reading your story about your mom and dad made me realize that my relationship with my husband is much the same way. Although I love him dearly I guess I shouldn't assume that he knows that. We all need to stop taking each other for granted and live like there is no tomorrow.

Heather said...

I love you Christy! You may not read this until you get back, but I'll still love you then, too. I hope you and Kay have a good weekend together.

Mandy said...

love you girl and miss you!! Call me sometime or better yet come see me!! :)

Anonymous said...

christy- i love you very much. tyne

Susan said...

I have to go back through my emails and find the info-mercial about our song collection. Good times. GOOD times.

PS- Did you know that Dave Thomas died? Which reminds me... have you talked to Brandy Jett? Someone needs to talk her into coming to J-Day.

Mandy Mc said...

Friend, I know you're busy, but seriously, update us on what you've been busy doing the last month. I miss your crazy self!

Anonymous said...

I'm working on the update. There are a few things that I need to finish before I reveal what's been going on. It's good. You'll be excited!

Ashley Smith ~ The Primary Source said...

Can't wait for the update!!! I love you!