Saturday, July 30, 2011

Yipeee!!


I remember my first day of school pretty well for some reason. I had on a super cute dress, was sporting my freshly permed-chlorinated from the summer of swimming at the YMCA blonde hair, and I had my paisley notebook and school supplies ready to go! My house was not that far from school but my mom let me ride the bus anyway. The dawn had just broke across the sky when the bus showed up to get me for the first time and I was finally able to step on Mr. Scott's bus.

I still feel that excitement, now as a teacher, every year that we return to school. I am just like a kid when it comes to picking out my office/school supplies for the year. I make sure that my first day outfit is perfect and sets the tone for the year (yeah I know...I have come a long way in fashion from pink shorts!) (that's another blog soon on it's own.) I make sure that my classroom/office area is set up perfect with just the right amount of material on the walls but room enough to allow student work to be displayed. I love it.

Bigger than that excitement is the thought of a new group of students. The possibility that you might meet one of those students who changes your life forever. The chance that you might get that student that truly allows you to be a part of their transformation into young adults. They will transform you and stay with you a little bit but there's always that handful that leave their mark on you in a special way (hopefully not a creepy way that would make you the Fox5 News Headline story at 6:00.)

I am so excited for a new year. A year of partnering with other teachers as their co-teacher to help students with disabilities succeed in the regular classrooms. I am excited about a caseload full of students that I can help show their abilities and not just focus on their disabilities. A year full of learning a brand new school and becoming part of a new family of teachers. Pep rallies, football games, dress up weeks and plays.

So here's to a new year, a new start, a new excitement.

No comments: